- Number 1 cause of sudden cardiac death in children and young adults
- Characterized by excessive thickening of the heart muscle
- Affects 1 in 500 individuals
- Most common genetic cardiac disease
- Generally inherited disease
- About 600,000 people nationwide have the disease
What Is HCM?
HCM is Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. HCM is a primary disease of the heart. The condition causes the heart walls to thicken and the heart muscle to stiffen making it difficult for the heart to work.
HCM is the most common cause of sudden, unexpected cardiac death in children, young adults, as well as young athletes.
Click here for more donation information.